Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Few Favorite Things

NiveaWe are home again today due to frigid Arctic-like temperatures again today. I'm not sure who pissed off old Man Winter, but he is obviously getting revenge. Though I've gotten a lot accomplished today and throughout our days off, I'm going a little crazy. It might be a little because of these two...


I enjoy vacation and a day off here and there. I need those times off for my own sanity. That being said, we have had a lot of days off this winter. I already struggle with winter- it's cold, dreary days, and crappy travel conditions. I morph from extrovert to introvert when I can't get out. Like holed up in a dark room with quilts, a stack of books and tv remote in hand, only moving if I absolutely have to. I get grouchy.  I get annoyed if someone wants to talk to me. I don't want to go anywhere. Pale skinned, squinting in the bright light when someone dares enter my space. It's all proof that I would be a terrible stay at home mom. I need social interaction with other people. It's critical to my psyche & basic survival. 

So as I await the completion of my last load of laundry, I've been perusing some of my favorite online shopping spots, which in turn, inspired today's post: Some of my favorite products under $10. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a few of them are actually cheaper in my local stores! I love in a small town, where it's rarely cheaper to do anything, other than to buy a house.   As a result of cleaning a lot lately, most of them are cleaning related. Whatever. 

1) Mrs. Mreyer's Clean Day Basil Hand Soap ($3.95 on mrsmeyers.com) 
My mom found his a target and I instantly fell in love! It smells so fresh and clean and rinses well. I hate soap residue or feeling like my skin is completely stripped after washing. She gave me some for Christmas and I will never go back to the milk and honey I always thought was so great. They also have other greener cleaning supplies, if you get into that kind of thing. 

2) Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda  ($7.49 drugstore.com)
This is the best stuff in the world for funky laundry! Let's be real. I have boys, one of which can clear a room with his feet alone. And I have a hard working husband. And I workout a lot. On occasion I have a load of sweaty team uniforms to wash. I don't know if you have trouble with moisture management shirts smelling musty once the anti-microbial treatment washes away (typically good for about100 washes- did you know that?). They get funky about half way through the season (I wash mostly in cold) but a cup of this stuff in the load of sweaty clothes takes the funk away. Best.Stuff.Ever! It will also decrease the scent of your detergent or softener/freshener but I don't like strong scents anyway so not a big deal for me. 

3) Nivea Soft Moisturing Cream ($3.69 Drugstore.com)
Another reason I hate winter is dry skin.  I swear my skin could sand wood into sawdust. I like body butter type creams but not if they are greasy. I can't stand when my hands leave greasy prints all over after I moisturize. This stuff soaks in quickly and I don't feel like I have to constantly reapply all day. It lasts after frequent hand washing. I work in a cesspool- I mean a school. I wash my hands frequently. This saves my skin. 

4) L'Oreal Paris Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream ($10.96 drugstore.com)

This is only $8 at Walmart where I live. Honestly, I buy it at CVS because they send me good coupons and I got it for $5. Go me! This covers lightly, matches my skin tone really well and doesn't melt off my oily skin until about 2 instead of noon like some other BB creams I've used. And it's cheap. I have a bit of a Sephora addiction so when I find a staple I use daily that's less expensive I feel less guilty dropping $32 on my finishing powder. It's kinda like getting two for one. Am I right? :)

That's all for now. I would love to turn this into a regular post each month or so. I'm gonna have to get thrifty to keep it under $10.  I like nice stuff. :)

*Note: all opinions are my own. None of the companies or products listed above have endorsed these reviews or provided me with compensation of any kind. Thank you very much and have a nice day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!