Thursday, January 16, 2014

Momentum

Momentum- /mōˈmentəm,mə-/
Noun- 
1force or speed of movement; impetus, as of a physical object or course of events
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary


Momentum can be a real bitch.  So can unpredictable Indiana weather. I've been thinking quite a bit the last few days about momentum and how it helps or hinders progress.  Cases in point: 

1. Our oldest son had a scheduled basketball game tonight.  They've had some great wins lately and have been playing well in practice and as a team.  It snowed and the game was canceled.  No practice allowed.  We don't play for a week now.  Momentum squashed. 

2. We've been reading a novel in my reading classes.  We are in a critical point in the story where a supporting character had a critical light bulb moment. We have 2 chapters left to finish the book.  And now we have a 3 day weekend. 

3. Seeing my progress and numbers from my 24 day challenge, even though they weren't as good as they could have been, has made me push harder.  Food prep, great workouts all week, planning around things going on this weekend that may interfere with my progress. 

My point in all of this is momentum, or the loss of, can devastate progress if you let it.  Yes, momentum can carry you into further success.  The loss of momentum does not have to sabotage progress.  It's just a temporary step backwards.  It doesn't have to be permanent or a total killer.   I am ultimately the one who chooses to let the set back hinder me from moving forward.  Yeah. Me.  So I need to get over myself.  So things didn't go the way I had hoped.  Suck it up and move on.  Ask for more help.  Plan more.  Plan better.  Keep setting goals and moving forward.   Keep moving to gain momentum. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!