Sunday, April 27, 2014

Nerves

Hello everyone!  It's been a whirlwind these last 2 weeks.  Those posts will follow soon.  I am just less than one week away from my half marathon.  OMG I'm so nervous!  My setbacks have been uber frustrating for me.  I don't feel like I've ever gained back the momentum I had after the shin splints a month ago.  Then last Saturday I ended up in the chiropractor's office with a pinched nerve from my Friday run.  That sat me on Saturday, I walked 4 miles on Sunday, attempted a run on Tuesday but only made it 3 miles due to wind and pain.  Nerves have me in a jumbled knot of a mess. No long run this weekend, though I spent most of it running around a gym facility while working a basketball tournament, and a week full of rain forecasted.  I'm a week away and I already feel like I'm going to puke.  What's up with that?!

My goal has been to finish under 2.5 hours this time.  My runs always start out slow in the 11-12 minute range for the first 2-3 miles, with later miles picking up the pace.  I usually finish my daily milage running 5-6 miles in 55-63 minutes, so not terrible.  The problem is I've not run over 8 miles yet and this weekend is my 10 miler.  I wanted to get it done today before leaving.  We shall see if I have time to do that before leaving.  Something would be better than nothing.  

My weekday workouts have been good otherwise.  I've been doing a lot of circuit training focusing on core and hamstring strength, tons of squats, lunges, and I've added in more flexibility.  I think a large part of my issues have been related to flexibility and not stretching as thoroughly as I believed I was.  Maybe my kid does get it from me... ha!  Some new terrain has also been added to my route.  I found that the loop from my house to the other farm and around the ponds is a wonderful, non-asphalt surface to run on.  A little bit of sand, some blacktop, pasture, the ponds, and 3 gates to climb over.  It's a nice change of pace from the boring old non-dog route I normally take.  The the heifers just look at me.  Occasionally they will join me and run up and down the pasture with me, which is always funny.  They're like dogs they're so tame.  :)

I know I need to take it semi-easy next week, but I really don't want to take the week off from my daily runs.  My long run may happen on Monday and I'd like to do at least 2 other 5-6 milers.  Then the 13.1 on Saturday.  I wish I had enough days to take the week off!!  EEK!

I haven't trained in the rain and the forecast looks rather gloomy for the next week.  I hate rain, especially cold rain.  I'm praying for sunny skies!  

What do you do when it rains?  How do you mentally prepare yourself for that?  What protective gear do you use for your tech devices and fuel? 

If only this were an option!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!