Monday, May 5, 2014

Indy Mini Recap


I did it!  I RAN the One America Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon on Saturday!  The whole thing.  I RAN (slowly) the whole 13.1 miles!  If you subtract my stupid port-o-potty stop, I averaged 11 minutes per mile, and finished in 2 hours 20-ish minutes.  Not too shabby.  Not gonna lie, mile 13 was a bitch.  My time in  13th mile suffered greatly. But never, ever did I consider walking.  Like Forest Gump, I just kept running.   The realization I had just run 13.1 miles was overwhelming! If I had one ounce of fluid in my body at that point I'd have cried when they put the medal around my neck.  What an amazing feeling to know I trained and completed this goal.  After stretching and grabbing all of the goodies after the race, I did what any self-respecting goal-achieving person does- I took a selfie and sent to my hubs and kiddo.  I attempted to send it out on the inter webs but there were so many people downtown there was no reception.  When I got back into my hotel room I received the following tweet from my son.  At that point I was hydrated enough to cry. That boy makes my heart swell with pride! Then to hear/see him cheering me on made me melt.  Oh sweet child <3



Had I known the Indy Mini was the LARGEST half marathon in the country with 35,000 participants I would likely have not registered.  Being a part of that is a tad bit intimidating! You can bet my nerves came back Saturday morning as I was listening to those stats on the news as I was getting ready.  The most awesome thing was seeing the firemen and military folks in full suits, oxygen tanks, masks, back packs loaded with all of the stuff they would carry in combat, and so forth, walking along side all of us.  How humbling an experience!  I made sure to say thank you to all of them I passed along the way.  They are so strong to compete with all of their gear.  Thank goodness the weather was great.  Sunny, light breeze, and 60 degrees.  It was perfection.

I'm going to conclude with the top 10 things I learned from this experience:

10. Use the bathroom at the hotel again before the start of the race even if you don't have to. Port-o-potties are disgusting and will kill your time.

9. iPod's are probably going to be discouraged but take it anyway.  They did have good music in places, and I enjoyed the band's effort and time.  It was awesome.  I would have benefited from additional music to help me keep my pace throughout the longer stretches.

8. Take your ID.  There's beer at the end but they will card you.  Free beer is the best beer, even if it's low carb watery beer #truth

7. Wear sunglasses.  I went out before the sun had fully risen.  I knew better than to not take them.  The wind will kick dust in your face and the glasses will save you from the discomfort of sand digging in your eyeballs every time your dehydrated eyelids swipe opened and closed.

6. If you're not running with someone, find someone of similar pace to hang with.  It helps a lot.  Thanks University of Chicago T-shirt lady ;)

5. People will talk about anything while running.  No topics are off limits.  You will hear about people's sexual habits, excessive drinking the night before, lack of training, and food that people are planning to eat after the race.  Any one of these will either motivate you to run faster,  keep their pace and do some "ethnographic research, " or punch them in the throat as they run past you (yeah, that's you 20 year olds who didn't train and still ran faster than me).

4.  Plan your pre-race food accordingly.  My hotel was awesome, but they didn't prepare breakfast very well.  I was counting on oatmeal but it wasn't ready in time for me.  Luckily they had plenty of protein and some other gluten-free carbs for me to munch on.  I should have done more research and eaten much more than I did.

3. People spit.  A lot.  You will get spit on and you may spit on someone by accident.  Try not to throw up.  But for those who spit their water at the water station- just wait until after you get past the volunteers.  That's just gross and uncalled for.  Germs.. Eewww

2.  Take pictures and enjoy the run.  I did take a few, including my sweaty selfie at the end.  Tweet it, IG it, FB that pic and tell everyone what you did.  You just ran 13.1 miles.  Not everyone can say that.  It's kind of a big deal.  Feel good about it.

1. Thank the volunteers copiously along the way.  They have generously given up their day to be there.  After I saw how many people are needed to help fuel all 35,000 runners, I was inspired to be a volunteer/spectator/cheerleader at races in the future.  Thanks to all of those who give their time to help.  You are all awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!