Friday, May 9, 2014

Winner Winner Fish Taco Dinner

Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!  It's been a week full of festivities thus far.  Monday we had lunch provided by one of the local Mexican restaurants, yesterday students dressed as their favorite teachers, and today was dessert day.  Lucky for me someone thought to include a giant fresh fruit tray!  Woohoo!  Sugary things upset my stomach as of late, so I've been staying away from fruit lately.  I'm not going to lie- I kind of went on a sugar high afterwards but it was totally worth it.  I love a good pineapple. 

I have some of THE best students & parents!

While we're talking about food, I just had to share  my newest favorite dinner: Fish Tacos.  This was super easy and didn't take long.  I ate a decent fish taco over the weekend and went on a hunt to replicate the parts I liked.  In searching for the perfect combination of savory and sweet, I found some other things and decided to try them all together.  I made extra in hope they were really good so I had some for lunch today. The result: Success!  My husband LOVED them, my picky kid at just the fish on a wheat tortilla, and my oldest, and usually the least picky child, went to Nana's for beef and noodles. It's a win all the way around.  We'll be having this again in the near future. 

Coconut Lime Fish Tacos


Yum!
Ingredients:
1 point whitefish
3-4 limes
3 T Rice wine vinegar
1 T olive oil 
1 t honey
3/4 cup Coconut milk, full fat
1 bag Chopped cabbage slaw mix
1 Avocado, sliced
Cumin
Salt & pepper
8 corn tortillas


For the Fish
1 pound of whitefish (I used Swai)
Cumin
salt
pepper
Juice of 1 lime

Arrange fish in a boiler pan or a 9"x13" baking dish.  Sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper.  Squeeze juice of a lime over the fish. Place under broiler 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through. **side note- you could also grill them**

For the slaw:
Precut slaw mix- green and red cabbage, radish mix
3 T rice wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 t honey
salt & pepper to taste

Mix vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper in a glass mixing bowl and whisk until blended.  Add slaw mix and toss.  Let sit for 15 minutes.

For Lime Dressing:
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk, mixed until solids are dissolved
Juice of 2 limes (about 1/2 cup)

Mix juice and milk together until smooth. 

Warm tortillas in nonstick skillet. Remove and plate. Place 1-2 tablespoons of slaw and fish on tortilla, followed by a slice or 3 of avocado and a spoonfull of coconut like dressing. Fold and enjoy! 

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!