Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Change is Constant




So yeah, there's that.  About the time I get used to something it changes.  School's out tomorrow, so there will be change in routine.  I welcome the summer routine this year.  I worked my ass off the last three summers so this one is MINE.  I can not wait!  That's not to say I won't have things to do; that would be a big fat lie.  I have a class to finish, lessons to plan for next school year, data to extrapolate, beaches to sit on, books to read, things to paint and decorate, on and on and on.  Add summer basketball to that list and summer's pretty much gone and it will be back to school time in no time at all.

I'm kind of sad to say goodbye to my 8th graders.  I have some pretty spectacular kids.  One of my girls wrote me a note thanking me for treating her like I would a daughter.  Not gonna lie, I cried while I read it.  I don't get emotional about these kinds of things normally.  I want so bad for them to do well in high school but I know they won't always have the support that I have been able to give them.  I struggle with whether or not I should be like a mother, whether that is enabling them in some way.  But darn it, some of these kids don't have that. They don't know what it's like to have Mom or Dad at home scolding them for missing assignments and poor test grades, or pouring over books looking for answers to questions they can't quite comprehend.  To sit and read that letter from one of my students warmed my heart so much I don't even have words to explain.

Change is usually a good thing for me.  I tend to change jobs about every 2-3 years or so.   New challenges excite me.  I love a goal to work toward.  I've shared with them my goals throughout the year.  I made them write their own goals; academic and outside of school.  I hope change is good to them as well.  More than anything I hope that I have helped them see the importance of chasing dreams and taking on challenges that look like mountains before them.  I hope they have learned to believe in themselves just a little bit more than they did when they first stepped into my classroom, whether I had them from day 1 or just for a quarter.  I want a graduation announcement in the mail 4 years from now.  And I will again cry as they accomplish another dream, conquer another change, and head out to face new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!