Thursday, June 12, 2014

Summer Projects

I'd like to thank everyone for the wonderful emails and messages of support after Tuesday's post.  That post was crazy difficult to publish.  I have attempted to write it several times but have never put it out there for the world to see.  I know it sounds cliché but a monumental weight has been lifted from my shoulders.  Thank you!

In honor of summer break we have been cleaning everything in sight.  I don't know what it is about breaks and cleaning but I clean something every time I have one.  Spring break was my bathroom closets, master closet, dressers, bedroom, and the landing at the bottom of the basement stairs. This week the cleaning is not limited to closets and storage sheds.  The boys have also had physicals and teeth cleanings as well.  Poor Trent even had 6 baby teeth taken out today.  Bless his little heart.  The Dr. gave him the option of waiting until next week or having it done today.  I could see the look on his face as he pondered.  No way he was going to make it through the next week without constantly thinking about the impending doom to come.  His stoic self took it all in stride even though I know he was absolutely terrified deep down.  And the kicker- he smiled, as usual, through most of it.  His bravery astounds me.  Only a few tears were shed.  Just now he smiled at me and said how nice it is to be able to chew food without it getting stuck in the appliance in the top of his mouth.  What a kid!




Annnnd back to cleaning.  Why is it when I clean one room another seems to become messier?  After cleaning Trent's room the other day I now have piles upon piles of stuff in my living room.  Two boxes of clothes/shoes/toys are going out to my car promptly to be given to a friend of mine with little boys.  A giant box of books in the other corner is awaiting sorting.  I can never help myself with kids books.  I'm a sucker for Scholastic Book Orders, book fairs, and clearance sales at Barnes and Noble.  What I don't buy my mother does.  As a teacher it's a good deal because I can usually take them to school when my boys are done with them.  Plus I'm a huge fan of adolescent literature so my mom tends to buy us popular series like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Divergent.  :)

Anyway, everyone has that one place where all of the crap goes to die.  You know, that bottom drawer, the garage, the closet under the stairs.  For me it's the pantry.  I swear sports bottles reproduce like rabbits.  I suddenly have most of a shelf full.   It's the next closet on the list.  Unlike Trent's room, I'm on my own with this one.  I can't say I'm totally disappointed by that, however, since it will then be left up to me as to what items go and what stay.  I do not need 3 waffle irons.  I don't care who owned which.  I'm keeping the ONE that works best.  No others.  The sandwich press? I've never used it and I've had to move it like 3 times.  G-O-N-E.

As much as I HATE having garage sales I'm tempted to have one just because I have some nicer stuff.  I give generously to Good Will every time I clean out a closet.  I might as well make a little spending money for my summer adventures, right?   Stay tuned.  I haven't totally given up the thought.

What's up with breaks and cleaning?  Anyone else suffer the same affliction? Do you have garage sales?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!