Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tasty Tuesday

It's Tasty Tuesday everyone! This may be a little silly of me to start, as I normally have class on Tuesday nights but hey. Whatever. This week is online so I'm celebrating by procrastinating. #obvi
Tonight's dinner was a bit time consuming but so tasty, hence the inspiration of the post.  Baked Chicken Piccata and roasted Brussels Sprouts.  Both of these are two of my favorites. The chicken isn't the same, minus the full fat butter sauce with white wine, but good nonetheless.  It was even dairy and gluten free. #win



For the chicken:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 jar marinated capers, drained
1 cup chicken broth
juice of 1 lemon (approximately 1/3 cup)
olive oil
coconut flour
salt & pepper
parsley (fresh chopped or dried)

Warning: My grandmother taught me to cook so I'm the worst at actually measuring things.  I'm one of those just throw in the amount that looks right kind of cook. My measurements for this recipe are approximate because I usually just add to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pound chicken thin between two pieces of plastic wrap.  The thinner, the quicker they cook. I also cut each breast in half because they are pretty big if you don't. Place a cup of coconut flour in a shallow pan or plate and add some salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken breasts in the coconut flour mixture and place in a greased (I used coconut oil) 13x9 baking dish. bake 10 minutes and flip, then bake another 10 minutes.

While chicken is cooking, take the 4 Tbsp of olive oil and heat in a deep skillet. Add the leftover flour mixture to the oil (no more than 1-2 Tbsp). This will help the sauce thicken.  Add the lemon juice, parsley, capers, and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly with a fork or a whisk.  It will be a thin sauce, but tasty. Turn down heat to low and simmer until the chicken comes out of the oven.

When chicken comes out of the oven, add to the sauce and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through. This should take about 5-10 minutes. Feel free to bake thoroughly and add sauce later.

For the Sprouts:
Skillet or saute pan
4 Tbsp Olive oil
1 bunch brussels sprouts, washed, stemmed, and cut in half
Lemon Juice (1 fresh squeezed lemon)
Salt
Red pepper flakes

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet/sauté pan over med-high heat. Place halved brussels sprouts in pan and coat in oil, turing constantly. The goal is to get the nice, crunchy outside and just soft inside.  I turn the heat down to med-low and put a lid on them for about 5 minutes to get some steam going. You will want to watch them to be sure they don't stick. Remove from heat when cooked to desired doneness.

In a large bowl, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, juice from one lemon, salt, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.  I like mine a little on the hot side so I add close to 2 Tbsp. I also crush them a little bit in between my fingers as I add them to the mix to release some of the oils and heat in the flakes. Whisk it all together and add the brussels sprouts and toss.

Just because I didn't add the wine to the sauce doesn't mean I won't enjoy a nice glass of white wine with this dinner.  It is a very nice compliment.  Yes, there are a lot of dishes involved. It's not a super quick dinner.  I imagine you could combine some things and try it all in the oven together.  I like that crisp faux-fried texture that baking gives the chicken before placing it in the sauce.

So what's for dinner at your house? Do you have any suggestions for what you'd like to see on Tasty Tuesday? Leave me some love below.  Here's to your Tuesday being Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!