Monday, November 10, 2014

Sugar Free: 8 Days In & A Peak Inside My Fridge

Happy Monday, ya'll! It's day 8 of my Sugar Detox group and I can't even begin to tell you how awestruck I am with my challengers! They are killing this challenge. Hands down, they are kicking added sugar out of their lives with reckless abandon. Talk about motivation! I've had a ton of questions about what it's like to live without added sugar. It's not easy. It's really difficult to be honest. While in the grocery Sunday morning I was looking for kidney beans and comparing labels on the regular and reduced sodium varieties. Turns out there's sugar and high fructose corn syrup in them. Beans for goodness sake! So I bought dried beans to soak and can myself. The beans were $1.39 for the pound. I will easily get 8 pints out of the bag, probably more. They swell like crazy. I'll report back once I've canned them.

Another common question is about what I eat during the week. Here's a picture of my fridge after Sunday post grocery/meal prep. This took me just over an hour.

Fruits and veggies cleaned and easy to grab and go
The week's meal plan looks like this: Pork Loin with roasted veggies (crock pot meal), lasagna, pumpkin-sausage soup, beef & barley stew (Tasty Tuesday feature of the week), and 2 lbs of meatballs to do whatever with. Meal prep time takes about an hour as well, depending on how involved dishes are. Lasagna is more involved so took me more than an hour this week with all of the boiling and layering. This meal plan will cover 4 days of lunches, and 4 suppers, with 1 day of leftovers for lunch and/or supper. I have class on Tuesday nights so the guys usually end up having something I don't normally eat.  Lasagna will likely be Tuesday night's meal. Basketball season officially begins today so I have to be diligent to have 4 dinners made ahead of time because we all have less time after school to throw things together. At least J will have the same schedule as Coach this year. T-man isn't so lucky this year but that's ok. We make it a priority to eat together each night if possible. Sometimes it's more of just being in the same room while someone is eating when they get in from whatever activity they've just finished. That's ok. It's the quality time that matters.

Lunch for me consists of soup and salad most days. Last week was grilled fish and a variety of veggies and a salad. The beauty of living sugar free is the dense nutrients you get from food. I feel like I'm eating all day. I feel full longer. The longer we go in the challenge the fewer cravings I have. Most of the cravings have more to do with habits than actual hunger. Take Saturday night. Coach and I went to dinner at one of our favorite places. They have great wine and craft beer. I wanted a pumpkin ale soooo bad. Not because I really craved it but because it was Saturday, we were watching football, and it's what we do on Saturday night. I didn't have one and you know what? I felt amazing this morning! No beer bloat. No gut ache. No foggy brain. I popped out of bed with energy ready for my day. That's not to say I'm not going to ever treat myself. I'll have one of this pumpkin ales this month and I'll savor it. Sugar will be a part of my diet after this detox but not for a while. You can be very sure I'll be watching how much I'm consuming.

This challenge has provided me with some BIG ah-ha moments; 
1) I've had more progress with my weight loss & strength training by simply removing the sugar and processed foods and adjusting/adding in real sources of protein and carbohydrates. Duh (#facepalm) 
2) I'm tired of watching what I eat and working my butt off with exercise all week long only to throw it all out the window on the weekends. Goals don't get achieved that way.
3) This isn't about weight loss or fitting into clothes, though that's a nice side effect. It's about learning how to fuel my body better so I can be a better mom, teacher, and coach. That's what motivates me to keep going. 

What motivates you to keep going? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!