Thursday, December 4, 2014

Foam Rolling

I feel like that line from Elf when Buddy runs into the street yelling "I'm in love! I'm in love! And I don't care who knows it!" I'm in love with my foam roller. Well, maybe not mine per say, but the act of foam rolling is fab-u-lus! I'm in love!

Sometimes I do some really silly things like sit at the computer for 14 hours and mess up my neck and back. Two trips to the chiropractor in 5 days, a massage, and lots of BioFreeze later I'm still a mess. There's a spot in my right shoulder that I'm pretty sure melts ice at rapid speed due to the inflammation. And it hurts. 



Worst news is I'm not supposed to workout for a week-ish. Nothing more than walking, and I'm not supposed to do that until tomorrow. It's recovery week and I'm missing a lot of good stretching and Isometric work. I'm kinda bummed but I'd rather walk like a normal person next week. I may try Dynamix tomorrow. I'm not gonna kill myself with it or anything. I just need to move. I went down to the trainer's office this afternoon to get my BioFreeze rubbed in and saw the foam roller on top of the ice machine. Bingo! Why on earth have I not foam rolled before? I mean, I rolled last spring when I was having issues with my shins and IT bands while I was training for the half marathon but never on my back. Ohmygoodness it's amazing! That roller went between the wall and my upper torso and I squatted and rolled like a piston in a high performance engine. 

Research is my most favorite thing ever. This new love of foam rolling made me look for other great reasons to foam roll. There is a ton of information out there about the benefits of foam rolling. Youtube is full of tutorials and things to avoid while foam rolling. Rolling helps with flexibility and range of motion. It also adds to core strength. Many of the moves involve holding a plank like position and rolling over the top of the roller while holding your back, abs, and torso straight. With all of the heavy lifting and plyometric workouts I do, foam rolling is a great way to work the lactic acid from the muscles reducing soreness and reducing risk for injury. Additionally, I tend to hold a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders (stress much?) and foam rolling is perfect for helping relieve this tension. I will be adding a roller or two to the Christmas list this season.

Here are some of the great resources I found.


2. Shoulder pain from too much time at the computer

3. Neck-- You don't want to full on roll your neck but you can relieve some discomfort from a rough night's sleep or too much time at the computer by some simple moves like these-- 


Give it a try. You just never know what kind of benefits it could bring!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to do some research on this, Alison. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!