Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Christmas Indulgences

Some of my favorite memories have been formed in the kitchen, either my grandmother's, my mom's, and most recently in my own with my kids. The smells at this time of the year open the flood gates. Memories of candy making, cookie decorating and all sorts of baking swirl around my brain like the aromas fill the room. Such a simple act, mixing together a few things to make a sweet little morsel, yet so much emotion and live go into it making it much more than a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread or a plate of cookies. 

In the true spirit of Christmas indulgence and gluttony, this week's Tasty Tuesday feature is one of my family's beloved holiday treats. It is not gluten, dairy, or fat free. Nor is it particularly healthy in any way, but it sure does taste like a little piece of heaven as it melts in your mouth.

Without further ado, our favorite family tradition: 
Grandma's Shortbread Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2-2 cup flour 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar in mixer. Add flour until incorporated. Be careful not to over mix. You may need to add a touch more flour to stiffen the dough. Refrigerate dough for an hour. Roll out between waxed paper and cut into shapes. (Note: I like to dust dough with powdered sugar instead of using waxed paper). Bake just until set about 7-8 minutes. Let cool on sheet a few minutes the remove carefully and place on wire cooling rack. Frost with your favorite frosting (I like a simple butter, powdered sugar, milk mixture) and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!