Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Christmas Biscuits

Seems I may have left off an important classic movie from my list yesterday: The Bells of St. Mary's is a classic! I've just introduced it to my boys this afternoon and they were hooked. Again, I'm a sucker for Bing and a good black and white movie. And Ingrid Bergman is fantastic as Sr. Mary Benedict. As a girl who spent 6 years in Catholic school, she's pretty spot on from a spectator's point of view. The messages about courage, love and understanding from another's perspective are timeless. At any rate, it's not Christmas without Bing Crosby for sure! His voice is like none other.



Speaking of one-of-a-kind voices, how sad was the news of Joe Cocker's passing yesterday? He's one of my favorites. I rocked the Pandora this morning in tribute to his smokey, soulful voice. I can only imagine him singing With a Little Help From My Friends with the angels on his way up to the heavens. Because we all need a little help to get where we are going. He's helped many through his gift of song.

Today's Tasty Tuesday is inspired by our team breakfast this morning. Man those boys can eat. I'm used to my horses but add another 10 boys and holy moly it's insane the amount of food they can eat! 4 dozen eggs, 4 pounds of sausage patties, sausage gravy, 4 dozen biscuits, and a crap ton of pancakes. Don't forget the 3 gallons of milk and 4 gallons of orange juice. J complained he didn't get any biscuits so I whipped up a fresh batch for him and Coach to enjoy.  Our assistant coach's wife commented how easily I was able to get them ready. I've had lots of practice, I guess. Baking powder biscuits are one of the first things my Grandma taught me to make. They are super easy and very tasty. Mine never come out like the biscuits in a can or the ones from Cracker Barrel, but they are tender and not all dried out. They cut in half easily. Who really cares anyway? You slap butter and jelly on them anyway so who even notices how they look? Not I. They just need to taste delicious. :)

Buttermilk Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 1/2 T baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda (only if using buttermilk)
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter (or your fat of choice- lard and Crisco work as well)
3/4 cup buttermilk or regular milk

Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and soda. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (can also use a food processor with a dough blade).  Add buttermilk and stir until incorporated. Turn out onto a floured board and knead a 10 times. Roll out 1/2" thick and cut with the greased mouth of a glass or a biscuit cutter, or just drop them by the spoonful onto the sheet. Place 1" apart on a greased cookie sheet. I found they raise a bit if you leave them alone for about 5 minutes and then bake them. They raise a bit higher because the baking powder has time to proof before baking. Bake 8-11 minutes. We like ours just done so mine are perfect around 8 minutes. If you like them browned, bake a minute or two longer. Enjoy with butter, honey, jam, or gravy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!