Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Buffalo Cauliflower


Cruciferous Vegetables. I really love some of them, like Brussels Sprouts, bok choy, and kale. Yum! And then there are the ones we love to hate; broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. Hate may be too strong a word. I don't dislike them, but they most definitely aren't my favorite veggies. Sure they're great with dip and smothered in cheese but that defeats the purpose of eating them. I've been looking for ways to jazz them up so we all eat them. My boys don't care for the same ones I like but will eat cauliflower and broccoli. They love hot wings. While looking for Super Bowl snacks, I came across a Buffalo Cauliflower recipe. Great in theory, however, not so great to eat. The recipe coated the cauliflower in a flour and water batter, then baked at 450 for 15 minutes or so. Then toss in wing sauce and butter mixture and bake until crisp, another 7-10 minutes. 

So I get it. The author was trying to create a fried cauliflower-like dish. It just didn't work.The breading was mushy, there wasn't enough sauce, and it just wasn't that crisp. Or good. It just wasn't good. I think it would be fine without the breading. Next time this is how I will try making this. 

Clean cauliflower, cutting florets into similar sized pieces for uniform roasting. 
Toss with a tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Spread on a cookie sheet lined with foil. 
Bake in 450F oven for 10 minutes. Turn florets over and roast another 10 minutes. 
While baking, mix 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil with 1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce. 
Toss roasted cauliflower in sauce mixture. 
Sprinkle with salt. 
Enjoy with ranch or blue cheese. 

Does anyone have a good way to eat roasted cauliflower? How about broccoli? I haven't tried that yet. I'm not sure about that one either. Let me hear your ideas. 

Ta-ta for now. Happy day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!