Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Meatloaf Makeover

We have a delay this morning. It's incredibly foggy with the melting snow and 40+ degree temps we've had this week.  It's finally starting to look and act like March in Indiana. Thank goodness! It's been a long, hard winter once again. I even had the sunroof open on the way home Monday. The sunshine streaming in was glorious. My little guy was right there with me, hands out the top like he'd never felt anything so nice. The music was loud and we sang and laughed all the way home.  Precious memories in the making. I love those kind of days.

What's the first thing that runs through the mind when someone says meatloaf and mashed potatoes? Comfort food. Warm. Grandma's house on a snow day. Honestly it's not a terribly unhealthy meal. As I eliminate foods that don't agree with me so well, there had to be a way to keep meatloaf and mashed potatoes! I still use beef, but only because we raise our own. We've made it with ground turkey and it's ok too. The issue comes with the sugar and the binder. My go to binder has always been cracker crumbs or Panko bread crumbs and I have always used ketchup on top. My boys used to eat ketchup like it was a side dish. I've done a ton of research on different recipes and, in true fashion, have melded them into one that suits me.

Mini Meatloaf is great because it's easy to pack in lunches or to grab as a snack. You can even make it fancy by placing tomato slices on top of each one half way through cooking, just be sure to have a pan underneath the muffin tin to catch juices. And if you aren't a fan of Rotel you can substitute a cup of mild salsa. We like things a little spicy around here, but my guys like either way. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!