Sunday, August 23, 2015

#SOCSunday: To Facebook or Not To Facebook

Welcome back to Stream of Consciousness Sunday! #SOCSunday is a 5 minute time where you write whatever is on you mind. Set a timer for 5 minutes and join the fun. 


Recently I shut off all Facebook notifications. My job also blocked FB from being used on school devices, even at home. It was painful at first, no ringy-dingy jingles, no little red circle with the number of new likes or mentions, no nothing. It was kind of like moving to a new place and not knowing anyone. Everyone looks but doesn't talk to you. Too harsh? Maybe it was more like giving up candy for lent. You notice it a lot the first few days and then you forget why it was such a big deal. Yes, I posted a few things but this is what I learned from unplugging from Facebook the last 2 weeks.


  • My life got a whole lot more positive
  • I may need to clean out my "friends" list to keep more positive influences in my life
  • I read my Twitter feed more. There so many more positive people and influences on my Twitter feed than on my FB feed.
  • I struggle with how much to use my FB, both personal and professional pages without sounding like a braggart. I want to encourage others to see beauty and goodness of life. And brag about my kids a little. 
  • What value do I get from Facebook? 
What do you think? Has FB run its course? 

This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!