Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Fix- Attitudes, Workouts & Recipes

The Fix is back in my routine. Consistent workouts are back. Food prep is back. Sleep patterns are back. And still my cravings are hitting the ceiling- partly due to the stress of my day and another part because I got really used to shoving sugary foods in my mouth over the last 3 weeks. Hello convenience food.  Right now I'm choosing to be satisfied, despite the messages my brain is sending. Mind over matter. Am I right?

It's rather coincidental the mind over matter topic comes up today in the blog and in my life. We talked at length about mental toughness in practice tonight. Stepping up to the challenge even when our minds say our bodies can't do something. It's something I've never really been good at. I tend to wear my emotions on my face. Couldn't I be one of the lucky ones who wear them on her sleeve? No poker face here, just straight up exactly-what-I'm-feeling radiating from my face. So tonight as I got another shot of crappy news and started whining to myself, I had to recall my pep talk with a few kids just today. Suck it up. You can do this. Tell yourself it will happen and it will. Take one more step. One more rep. Just one second faster. It all boils down to attitude toward the situation. So suck-it-up-sally. Get after it and get it done. Wish I'd realized all of this before taking it out on everyone else. {sigh} Sorry guys. Tomorrow will be better.



Anyway, on to brighter topics. Can we say bipolar blogging? In honor of restarting 21 Day Fix Extreme, I'm bringing back Tasty Tuesday! I'd like to share with you one of my favorite summer time meals: Zucchini Boats. I don't have pictures of this one right now. I'll update soon! I have always made this with ground beef, which I still do from time to time, but I've really come to enjoy ground turkey and turkey sausage. For this one I used ground turkey breast and the recipe for Autumn's Turkey Lettuce Wraps in the 21 Day Fix Extreme guide book. It's super easy! I trade out the lettuce with medium sized zucchini and then top with a little bit of shredded mozzarella cheese. It really is tasty. Without further ado, here is my take on a summer classic.


The Coaching Wife's Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats

4 medium zucchini, halved
1 ½ lbs lean ground turkey breast
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp oregano
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
½ cup water
½- ¾ cup tomato sauce (no sugar added)
3-4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1)    1)      Preheat oven to 400F. Grease baking dish lightly with olive oil.
2)       Cut Zucchini noodles lengthwise in half. Scoop out half of the middle of the zucchini with a spoon or scoop. Reserve zucchini guts for filling.
3)       Heat large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently about 5 minutes until no longer pink.
4)      Add garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika, and oregano and mix well.
5)       In a food processor, add onion, pepper and zucchini guts. Chop veggies until diced, but not pureed. Stir chopped veggies with meat and cook until onion is translucent (about 4 minutes).
6)      Add water and sauce—NOTE- since zucchini is a succulent veggie, it gives off quite a bit of water when it is cooked. You may not need the entire amount of water. I use the full amount of sauce and less water.
7)       Bring to a simmer. Cover. Cook about 8-10 minutes over low heat, or until liquid has reduced.
8)      Spoon meat mixture into hollowed out zucchini in baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped tomato and shredded cheese.
9)      Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.

Makes 4 servings, 2 boats each serving.
21DF: 1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Blue


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!