Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Prosciutto & Sprouts

Ya'll, the weather has been just phenomenal again this week! I'm not kidding when I say sunshine and upper 70's with lows in the 50's is my version of heaven. Perhaps Indiana is the wrong place to achieve this perfection... For now I'm very happy. Warm enough for fun in the sun during the day in shorts and a tank or tee, cool enough to keep the house open, sit around a fire, and great for sleeping. One of the weather guys on TV put together the fall forecast and said the mild temps are supposed to stick around through November! I couldn't be happier with that news. Now if it holds true is another story. It is Indiana.

This week's tasty Tuesday combines a few of my favorite things and is super easy to prepare. Our local grocery really does a nice job at stocking healthy, clean and different types of foods, but prosciutto doesn't come around very often. For being an hour away from a major city though, Kroger does the job pretty well. I happened to go to Sam's Club the other day and saw a nice package of prosciutto. The price wasn't super, but how do you say no to prosciutto? It's just so good! And it was organic. Not that I'm all that hung up on being organic, but when it comes to meat it does taste so much better.

I've been dreaming of the prosciutto-brussel sprouts combo.  I started with some bacon grease. Yeah, I just said bacon grease. Yes, we keep a mug of bacon grease in the fridge at all times. Because that's the way Grandma did it, except she kept it in a Crisco can. You just never know when you might need some bacon flavoring in your dish. #amIright Any way, a heaping teaspoon of bacon grease, melted in a skillet, followed by cleaned and halved brussel sprouts. I buy these in a bundle- about 4 cups. Cook on medium heat for about 7 minutes and flip. Cook another 5 minutes. Add 6 slices of prosciutto, diced or sliced into smaller pieces. Stir into the sprouts. Add 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar. You can use white wine vinegar, but I had red on hand. Cook on medium-low heat for a few minutes, until sprouts are fork tender and have absorbed the vinegar. Add fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese.

Coach went absolutely crazy for these, you guys! Not that he got many... I ate most of them before he came in from his work outside. We were so crazy about them I forgot to take pictures! I promise to post them the next time I make this. I'm sure it will be later this week. I may have to go back to Sam's this weekend for more prosciutto.

What's your favorite way to use prosciutto in meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!