Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Sweet Pepper and Sausage Pasta



The weather has turned cooler this week which has left me hungry and craving hearty foods. I opted for a pasta dish, partly because my boys are still working out after school in addition to putting in time outside in the field and are starving when they come in, and because I needed a good carb fix. Don't worry, I didn't go all out white flour pasta. That would just be silly. I found this quinoa pasta at the grocery that is both gluten free and pretty tasty. The link is for elbows, but I used penne. It's chewy and like al dente, but heartier like a whole grain pasta. It tastes like regular pasta, too. My boys ate it without complaint. They actually ate less of this than regular white pasta. That's always good!

The kale was a last minute touch. The peppers and onion just weren't enough with the sausage. It needed more. I had some fresh kale from the garden and knew that was the answer. Again, my boys ate it and my oldest gave me the "Mom of the year hug" as he likes to call it. I'll take it! It's filling, but incorporates your veggies, proteins and carbs all in one. Yes, the calorie count is a bit higher, coming in at 517 per serving. It also makes great leftovers for lunch the next day, if there's anything left!


Here's the run down.

1 package of sweet Italian turkey sausage, cut into bite size pieces
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped finely
4 kale leaves, washed and cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
olive oil
12 oz quinoa pasta
8-10 heirloom tomatoes, quartered
fresh basil (I used 3 leaves) chopped small
fresh parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. DON'T OVERCOOK! It turns into mush if you do.
While water is on to boil, add olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) to a non stick skillet and add onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, but not translucent. Add sausage. Cook through. When sausage is almost completely cooked, add kale. Put lid on skillet and steam kale with veggies about 1 minute. Add drained pasta to sausage mixture. Then add tomatoes, fresh basil, and parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste (I added pepper but no salt to mine).

Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 517
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 19 g30 %
Saturated Fat 5 g24 %
Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98 mg33 %
Sodium 620 mg26 %
Potassium 446 mg13 %
Total Carbohydrate 60 g20 %
Dietary Fiber 7 g28 %
Sugars 11 g
Protein 27 g54 %
Vitamin A53 %
Vitamin C118 %
Calcium8 %
Iron25 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!