Monday, October 26, 2015

We're Doing Alright

Fall Break. One of the 4 most glorious phrases a teacher can hear during the school year. The other three are Christmas Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break. Duh. I cannot even begin to explain how badly I needed this break from school. To say it's been a trying start would be an understatement. To try to explain would be impossible. It is what it is and I must learn how to effectively rally the troops (and myself) to make it to Thanksgiving and then Christmas. We've learned a lot and I have no doubt things will be a little more predictable, albeit eventful, nonetheless. While researching this morning, this window popped up. I snapped a pic because it seemed a pretty perfect reminder that I have the power to change things. Totally true.



Our lives are always eventful, with things filling most waking moments. From practices, to games and matches, meetings, classes, and just everyday stuff, we seem to always have some kind of thing to attend to each day. There have been few days off, including my beloved Sunday's. In the midst of all of the ridiculousness, October is suddenly coming to a close and I haven't the first fall decoration put out, fall pumpkins carved, or even my summer flowers put away for winter. October means baseball playoffs. Baseball playoffs that included my beloved Cubbies. In honor of the Cubs making the playoffs, Coach decided to join the "Fear the Beard" movement. It may have had something to do with me challenging him to not shave or cut his hair until the season started... In all the years we've been together he's never grown the beard longer than about 4 days. It's been 3 weeks., almost 4. I can't believe it's still on.


I don't even know him anymore ;)

And then he shaved this morning. Apparently the hair is starting to tickle his lip and is bothering him or something. Whatev. He lost. I win. Next subject lol

Road trips are great. Even long, 2 day road trips when everyone just wants to be there and the driver has pulled muscles in his neck (must be the extra weight of the beard). We were kind of excited to arrive at our destination. Can you tell? 

Coffee, tea, music. Let's go.

In all honesty though, we have had a pretty good time together. We all sat down at dinner together tonight. When I say sat down I mean the kids set the table, helped make supper, laughed, joked, interacted with everyone, and we all sat at the table together. At once. All 4 of us. We said Grace and the boys said please, thank you, may I be excused and everything. Then I mentioned we should sit down at our dining room table once a week for dinner, say on Sunday's, every week. They all agreed it would be nice. You read that correctly. They agreed it would be nice to sit and have a family dinner, just the four of us. Hold on while I sit for a second. Wait, what? Did I hear that correctly? My almost 16 year old is encouraging sit down dinners and asked to be excused? I may pass out. I think I need to lie down. 

Seriously.... Where did my kid go? They both genuinely want to spend time with us. Either one-on-one or as a whole group. It's unreal. I hear friends talk about their kids not wanting to even be in the same room and then I look at my guys and think to myself that I must be doing something right. We bought a selfie stick for goodness sake and played with it for like an hour this morning. My post by the end of the week may not be as happy as it is now but I'll take my chances. I feel pretty dog-gone blessed right now to have some pretty terrific guys. 

Happy Family <3



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!